How many coins in each glass? - Answer

 Other pages: 

Welcome! 

 Home 

Get your brain teaser solved!

View my blog on particle physics here


HOW MANY COINS IN EACH GLASS? - ANSWER

Age group: All


Hello Readers!

Here is the answer to the question I had asked earlier!
You can also view the question here:

The question I asked was:

"How can you place 10 coins in 3 glasses such that each glass has an odd number of coins?"

Note: You cannot leave any glass empty 

Now coming to the Answer!

First of all, let us get one thing clear,
odd number + odd number = even number
even number + odd number = odd number
i.e.
odd number + odd number + odd number = odd number

From this, we can conclude two things -
1) Sum of 3 odd numbers can never give an even number; thus, logically, dividing 10 into 3 parts such that each is an odd number is not possible.

2) However, we can get an even number if we place an odd number of coins in two glasses; however, we were told that no glass can be left empty.

Am I implying that this is an impossible case then?
Well, Mathematically, YES, it is indeed mathematically impossible.

We have to be creative! 
What we can do is this -

Step 1: Place 3 coins in each of the 3 glasses
Now, we have one coin left. If we place this in any of the glasses, then that glass will have an even number of coins. 

Step 2: Place the remaining one coin in one of the glasses.
Why did I do that? Read on...

Step 3: Now let's think out of the box - place the glass with an even number of coins inside a glass with an odd number of coins. Now, technically, the first glass has an odd number of coins. (Since odd + even = odd)

Many other combinations are possible using the same method.

A lot of you may not agree with me, since even now all three glasses do not have an odd number of coins.

But, if we think logically and visually, when we keep one glass inside another, we begin to treat it as one single glass.

And thus, here is your answer!

I will definitely welcome any alternatives to this answer. In fact, I myself am waiting for a more acceptable answer and am trying to solve it in the most logical way possible :)

If you have got an out of the box solution, do share it!

If you have interpreted this question in another suitable way, then do let me know in the comments section again!

If I have made any significant error, do let me know about that too, and I will be sure to make the necessary changes!
You can also attend to the above here.

I hope you enjoyed this :)


See my other posts here:

View the contents of this blog for easy and better navigation!


With Warm Wishes,
Lavanya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bay Window Murder Mystery - Answer

What is the Colour of the Hat?

Which Switch Opens the Light? - Answer